In the last financial year 70 West Australians lost money to online scams, 5 of those lost over $10’000. This has increased from 21 people the previous financial year.
Consumer Protection’s Tips for Safe Online Shopping:
- Be wary of great deals. Scammers thrive off impulse buying for bargains.
- Be wary of sites you haven’t heard of before or sites that haven’t been running for long (look for the date at the bottom of the page).
- Be cautious of sites with no physical office address, phone contact or ABN. You can go to the ASIC website to check ABNs.
- Look for the closed padlock symbol in the web address at the top of your browser.
- Watch out for untrustworthy payment methods such as a money order, wire transfer, pre loaded card instead of the safe method of paypal or credit card.
- If you’re unsure of a website, search for reviews of that site.
- Look for pixelated photos, grammar and spelling mistakes – reputable websites wont have these.
Remember if you experience a scam website its always worth letting Consumer Protection know. No matter how small, if they have enough information they can shut the site down.
For more info or to report a fishy website contact Consumer Protection:
1300 30 40 54
Listen to the short 5 minute segment from Consumer Protection below.