A smooth, thick and mildly spiced soup with a little crunch from pieces of pecans scattered through. Add a dollop of natural coconut yoghurt and a sprig of coriander to dress up your soup.
- 1 – 2 Tbsp ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 med onion(s), roughly diced
- 2 tsp garlic, minced
- 2 tsp ginger, minced or grated
- 1 1/2 tsp garam masala, or to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp curry powder, or to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 750g sweet potato, roughly diced
- 1 litre chicken broth/stock, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 head cauliflower, chopped into evenly sized pieces
- 1 med zucchini, roughly sliced
- 400ml can coconut milk, or milk of choice
- 1 1/2 tsp sea salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- To serve: coconut yoghurt, and coriander leaves
Heat a large soup pot on medium heat.
Add the ghee, onion, garlic and ginger to the pot and cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
Next, add the garam masala, curry powder and cinnamon, and stir them through the onion mixture until fragrant.
Then, add the sweet potato and stir to coat well with the onion and spice mixture. Add the chicken broth and bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the cauliflower and zucchini (add a little extra liquid if all the vegetables aren’t quite covered). Bring the pot back to a simmer and cook the vegetables for 10 minutes or until tender.
Remove from the heat and add the coconut milk and season with the salt and pepper to your taste.
Blend the soup in batches until smooth, with no green bits visible from the zucchini skin.
Add some pecan pieces to the bottom of each bowl, ladle in the soup and add a dollop of natural coconut yoghurt and extra pecans on top.
Optional, serve topped with coriander leaves.
Recipe by Sue Joy, author of The Joyful Table.
If you like this, check out Sue’s recipe for Winter Vegetable Curry.
Sue Joy has battled with Chronic Fatty Liver Disease, an Autoimmune Disease, Arthritis and digestive issues for many years. She decided to conduct her own research on what food choices could help her conditions. These choices culminate under what is termed a Paleo Lifestyle.