Poisonous Plants | Kidsafe WA

Thursday, September 13, 2018 11:14 am
Reading Time: 1 minute

The listed plants are considered harmful to children if ingested. The most dangerous plants listed in the table are coloured green and should not be in a child’s environment. Other plants may be a health risk if consumed or can cause allergic reactions if touched. Contact the Poisons Information Centre (13 11 26) to discuss the appropriate first aid action if your child ingests any plant or gardening product in your home or garden. Please note this list is exhaustive and you should consult the Department of Agriculture’s list of harmful plants for more details.

Poisonous Plants list

Preventing poisoning

 Assume a plant is not poisonous because birds or other wildlife can eat it.
 Use any part of a plant for cooking or medicinal use unless fully aware of its attributes.
 Make sure all plants, both indoor and outdoor, are accurately identified. Take a sample of the plant to your local nursery if you are unsure of what type of plant it is.
 Teach your children never to put leaves, stems, seeds, nuts or berries from any plant into their mouths.
 Keep poisonous plants out of children’s reach (e.g. remove or securely fence off all identified poisonous plants).
 Keep a record of all plants in your garden.
 Keep the Poisons Information Centre phone number on your phone (13 11 26).

Listen to Kidsafe WA CEO Scott Phillips share more on how to keep kids safe around plants.

Skip to toolbar