Have you ever noticed that paying someone a compliment makes you feel good too? It’s true, when you take the time to mention something nice and thoughtful about a person, it amplifies our own self confidence and self esteem. People love to be around positive people, so when you pay someone a compliment not only does it reinforce their value in the world, but it strengthens your relationship. To celebrate National Compliment Day on January 24th, set out to brighten someone’s day with kind, pensive words. A really good compliment is specific and direct, so try including an example or a time the exhibited they quality you’re referring to. But the most important thing is to remember that a good compliment is genuine – most people can smell false flattery a mile away!
If you want to stretch your creativity past the go-to “you’re amazing or “that’s cool” here is some inspiration for all the different people in your life.
Compliments for your daughter:
- You carry yourself with such grace.
- When you smile I can see your joyful heart.
- You are so patient with your brother/sister.
- You are so loyal to your friends.
- I am amazed by your courage.
- You have such a generous spirit.
- Your wise choices make me proud.
- You show great effort in school.
- I think you’re brave for being honest.
- You taught me something new today.
Compliments for your son:
- You are so respectful to your teacher.
- You have great self control.
- You always have a great attitude.
- You have a great sense of humour.
- You care about other people.
- You make me so proud.
- You are one brave kid.
- You are so helpful to your brother/sister.
- You have an amazing imagination.
- You are such a gentleman.
Compliments for your husband:
- I’m so glad I married you.
- I love how you provide for our family.
- I’m so proud of you.
- I’m a better woman because you’re my husband.
- You’re such a great dad.
- You always make me laugh.
- When you listen to me you make me feel so loved.
- I love spending time with you.
- I love to lay my head on your chest, it feels like home.
- Your ability to stay calm in turbulent times gives me hope.
Compliments for your wife:
- I love talking with you.
- Thanks for loving me the way you do; you make me want to be a better man.
- You’re the reason this place is called ‘home’ rather than just a house.
- You give a lot, and I appreciate how much you give.
- I’m a rich man because you are my wife.
- Sometimes you are so beautiful that I just want to stand still and look at you.
- The kind of mum you are makes it so much easier to be the kind of a dad I need to be.
- I really admire your inner strength.
- The Song of Solomon has nothing on you!
- You know you’re my best friend, don’t you?
Compliments for a friend:
- You are more fun than anyone or anything I know.
- You are the most perfect you there is.
- You are enough.
- You are one of the strongest people I know.
- You look great today.
- You have the best smile.
- Your outlook on life is amazing.
- Your perspective is refreshing.
- Thank you for being there for me.
- You bring out the best in other people.