I’ve been enjoying sunny Queensland. A change of scenery is always a breath of fresh air for me. I love exploring new places, trying new things, and venturing into what I normally wouldn’t get a chance to do in my usual routine.
I woke up to the sound of the ocean and spent the whole day not running by my watch, not needing to be anywhere at any particular time, just me, and a day to fill.
I haven’t done a great deal, but that was the whole point. To stop, breathe, and smile. One of my favourite reasons why I love to explore new places is because of the people you encounter along the way, and because of a few people I crossed paths with today, it made me think. We don’t compliment each other enough.
As I was walking around today, I had a man say to me as he walked past, “just want to let you know, you have a really lovely smile. Have a great day!” and continued on his way.
I was filled with joy that a complete stranger would go out of his way to share that and I thought what if every person went out of their way to compliment someone else? How might the world change?
Just a simple thought for the day.
Following on from this fellow’s kind words, I was inspired to pay it forward, which gave me even more of a reason to smile. Receiving a compliment is lovely, but giving a compliment is one of the best ways to lift your own state of mind and somebody else’s all at the same time.
When was the last time you paid someone a compliment?
The business of compliments is a great one to get into because:
1. They are free! They don’t cost you one single cent. No matter how many you give or receive, you will never be out of pocket. In fact, you will only gain.
2. They generate guaranteed income with very little investment — you can be bringing in so much more joy to your life and the life of others. A choice to share a kind thought or two, and your joy will begin to increase. Guaranteed.
3. You can give and receive from anyone, anywhere. Compliments don’t discriminate by age, race, gender, religion, geographical location, financial status, socioeconomic status, education or any other discriminating factor you can think of. If you are alive, you can participate and have just as much success as anyone else. All it comes down to, is the choice to give the compliment.
4. It’s time efficient. Giving a compliment will take no extra precious time. You can literally change someone’s whole day, week, year, in a matter of seconds. How amazing is that?!
5. They are an endless resource. You will never run out of compliments, no matter how many you hand out. In fact, the more you give out, the more you will have to give.
So, I encourage you to give a compliment to at least one person you cross paths with, today!
Pay it forward.
“People wonder why I give so many compliments out to strangers. I’m not being fake and I’m not looking for people to like me. But if I pass someone and I like something, I say it. “Love those shoes!” or “Great hair!” or “Wow your eyes are beautiful!” Why? Because life is hard and this world can be a tough place, and people are mean. You never know how much those few words mean to someone, you never know what troubles they may be going through; and when you put positivity out there, you yourself become a happier person. It’s hard to be nice and be miserable yourself. It’ll reflect from the outside in. I’m telling you, ‘random compliment giving’ will change your life; and maybe someone else’s, too.” Author Jordan Sarah Weatherhead
To the kind stranger who passed me today — thank you.
Katie believes in dreaming fearlessly and has a deep passion for seeing other people experience joy and stepping into living their best lives. Her love of writing and self-expression inspired her to create a blog as an avenue for sharing her journey in choosing joy. The kind of joy that makes you smile for no reason at all, the kind you don’t have words for — Joy unspeakable. heartfeltjoy.com | Follow Katie on Facebook | Instagram