There is a new discussion in the vegetarian and vegan community, one that is revolved around some of our phrases. Apparently, there is a handful of everyday, common phrases that vegans and vegetarians have apparently deemed too offensive to use in 2018. These groups have come up with animal-friendly alternatives that they would like to see replace these sayings.
Here are the common phrases like and their animal-friendly alternatives:
1) “Bring home the bacon” want changed to… “bring home the bagels”
2) “Put all your eggs in one basket” want changed to… “Put all your berries in one bowl”.
3) “kill two birds with one stone” we should say… “feed two birds with one scone”.
4) “Take the bull by the horns” should become… “take the flower by the thorns”.
5) “beat a dead horse” but instead “feed a fed horse”.
6) “let the cat out of the bag”, we should simply “spill the beans”.
According to one academic, as increased awareness of vegan issues filters through society, meat-based metaphors may end up being ditched from the language altogether. “If veganism forces us to confront the realities of food’s origins, then this increased awareness will undoubtedly be reflected in our language and our literature,” Swansea University researcher Shareena Hamzah wrote in The Conversation.
What do you think about these new alternative phrases?