Reading Time: 1 minute

 

Every fortnight on The Breakfast Show, we’re visited by the vibrant Kath Healy of Nature Play WA. Just like the great outdoors she’s a breath of fresh air and always lifts our spirits.

This week, Kath shared with us an article that she’s absolutely loving. This article was “written by someone very smart” says Kath and is about 5 ways the outdoors can strengthen our kids’ health and personalities.

In a nutshell, they are:

1. Playing in the fresh air is a natural vitamin pill!

Did you know that only 10% of vitamin D comes from food? To get the other 90% you need to be out in the sun. If you go out in the sun, with bare forearms (no sunscreen) for just 10 minutes – you’ll get the necessary vitamin D! But please be careful not to stay out too long!

2. Burnout in children is increasing

3. Being in green space is good for lowering mental, physical and emotional issues.

Even just spending time in the garden or adding plants to your office space is shown to improve our health! In fact, doctors in the UK are actually prescribing house plants to people with depression.

4. Outdoor fun promotes social skills

Skill building, problem-solving and teamwork are easily improved in outdoor settings.

5. The outdoors is an inspiring place to learn

Kids get a better understanding of the world around them, the more time they spend in it. It’s proven that academic results and emotional intelligence improves when kids learn outdoors.

If you still need convincing, have a listen to Kath explain in more details all the reasons below!

Skip to toolbar