By Mike Atkinson | Drive producer and public relations officer
Denny Avenue in Kelmscott has taken home the prize that no suburb strives for — WA’s most dangerous road.
Denny Avenue ranked number 1 in the RAC’s Risky Roads survey. Drivers blamed the intersection’s confusing layout, poor traffic light system and inadequate turning and crossing opportunities for it’s dubious honour of the states most dangerous turning.
RAC general manager corporate affairs Will Golsby said the survey, across metropolitan and regional WA, received more than 6000 nominations.
“There is over 187,000 kilometres of road in Western Australia and no one knows it better than the people who drive, ride, cycle or walk on it every day,” Mr Golsby said.
“Western Australia has an $845 million road maintenance backlog and also has one of the worst road fatality rates in the country.
“Last year, 194 Western Australians died on our roads, with many more seriously injured.”
The RAC Risky Roads campaign empowers community members to voice their concerns about dangerous roads and intersections, so we can work together with relevant authorities to get them fixed and ultimately try to save lives.
The previous Risky Roads survey was in 2014 and, since then, eight of the top 10 roads and six of the top 10 inter-sections have had work planned, committed, started or completed.
— 98five Sonshine FM (@98five) February 15, 2017
Top 10 risky roads:
1. Denny Avenue – Kelmscott
2. Albany Highway – Albany to Bannister
3. Great Eastern Highway – The Lakes to Northam/Merredin to Southern Cross
4. Toodyay Road – Red Hill to Toodyay
5. Great Southern Highway – York to Cranbrook
6. Armadale Road – Cockburn to Armadale
7. Indian Ocean Drive – Lancelin to Dongara
8. Bussell Highway – Capel
9. Great Northern Highway – Muchea to Bindoon
10. South Coast Highway – Cheynes to Jerdacuttup
Top 10 risky intersections:
1. Forrest Highway (Australind Bypass) x Hynes Road – Eaton
2. Denny Avenue x Strelch Avenue – Kelmscott
3. Denny Avenue x Railway Avenue – Kelmscott
4. Edgewater Drive x Ocean Reef Road – Edgewater
5. Green Street x Scarborough Beach Road – Mt Hawthorn
6. Albany Highway x South Coast Highway – Orana (Albany)
7. Garden Street x Nicholson Road x Yale Road – Canning Vale
8. Beaufort Street x Walcott Street – Mt Lawley
9. Nicholson Road x Thomas Road – Oakford
10a. Great Eastern Highway x Scott Street – Greenmount
10b Abernethy Road x Hopkinson Road – Oakford.