Leon Piper | Mornings producer
Entrants are encouraged to design the most interesting and good-looking hanging basket they can, with some fantastic prizes up for grabs. To sweeten the deal, every entrant will also get a free hanging basket, a bag of premium potting mix and a ticket to the garden festival.
So to give the 98five family a head start, our plant professional and Gardens from Eden‘s Colin Barlow joined Mike on Mornings with some great tips in establishing a fantastic hanging basket:
- Start with a good quality potting mix. Look for the white ticks in the red background and the words ‘Australian Standards’.
- Resting the basket on a bucket helps keep the basket stable while you fill it and get the plants in.
- Don’t feel constrained by just one plant type, go wild and mix and match colours, textures and styles.
- Trailers like Needlepoint Ivy, Creeping Fig and Goldfish Plant (nematanthus) make nice foundations and borders.
- Shady plants like Polystichum ferns and Boston Ivy help make the basket look lush.
- Flowering plants like Pelargonium, Delosperma and Pink Sapphire Convolvulus add a lovely splash of colour and can lead to some interesting combinations.
- Hang the basket at eye level for easy access, and try to turn the basket a quarter to half turn at least once a week.
Check out the full video below for all of Colin’s tips in detail. If you’re interested in entering the hanging basket competition, download the entry form.
Colin Joins Mike every Friday on Mornings